Limerick City Quays Riverside Improvement Strategy
The City Quays project was officially opened by Minister of State for Tourism and Sport, Michael Ring TD and saw the upgrading of Bishop’s, Howley’s, and Harvey’s Quays as well as Lower Cecil Street, Shannon Street and Lower Mallow Street in Limerick city centre.
The revamp represents a major stage in the City Riverside Improvement Strategy which aims to provide a high quality waterside environment for public use and enjoyment of the River Shannon as well as a unique setting.
The €5m improvement works were constructed over a period of 12 months and included;
- 850 square metres of boardwalk with deck constructed in tropical hardwood
- Repairs to the quay wall and retention of its historic features
- Erection of performance feature with distinctive lighting
- Interpretation boards, seating, street lighting and new planting
- Widened footpaths and the provision for closure of Howley’s Quay to traffic for future events
- Traffic calming and fully accessible spaces